Chakras are spiraling pools of energy that correspond to specific organs and emotions. These energy centers are connected to the flow of life force, or prana, throughout the body influencing all aspects of our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual selves. It is therefore important to keep these energy centres open and flowing to maintain optimum health, emotional stability, and spiritual connection.
The seven main chakras are:
1. Root Chakra (Muladhara) – located at the base of the spine, responsible for feelings of stability, security, and connectedness to the physical world.
2. Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana) – located in the lower abdomen, responsible for emotional balance, creativity, and sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura) – located in the upper abdomen, responsible for self-confidence, personal power, and self-worth.
4. Heart Chakra (Anahata) – located in the center of the chest, responsible for love, compassion, and forgiveness.
5. Throat Chakra (Vishuddha) – located in the throat area, responsible for communication, expression, and authenticity.
6. Third Eye Chakra (Ajna) – located in the center of the forehead, responsible for intuition, wisdom, and spiritual awareness.
7. Crown Chakra (Sahasrara) – located at the top of the head, responsible for connection to the divine, spiritual enlightenment, and inner peace.
We can look after our chakras and keep them balanced and aligned through practices such as meditation, yoga, and Reiki. The use of crystals, colour and eating a balanced diet can also ensure optimal health.
A printable “cheat sheet” outlining each chakra and its colour, location, associated crystals, nutrition and yoga postures, can be found here.
If you would like to learn more about which crystals can help calm our kids, then please see the following article Calming Crystals for Kids.
A printable pdf “cheat sheet” matching each chakra to its colour and a selection of crystals and how they can help each chakra can be found here.
A printable pdf “cheat sheet” outlining each chakra and its colour, location, physical associations, balanced characteristics and imbalances can be found here.
For a Chakra Balancing Meditation that is easy to follow for all ages, please listen to this meditation Rainbow Chakra Balance and Energy Clearing Meditation.
The information outlined in this article is not intended to be used as a substitute to medical treatment or advice. Colour and crystals come with contraindications and these should be researched before use. It is advised that any healing using colour or crystals be done so under the supervision of a medical practioner or other suitably qualified health care practitioner.
© copyright. May not be reproduced without acknowledgement to the author. Written by Kim Norton 31st May 2023.