Empaths are sensitive souls who not only empathise with what others are feeling but actually feel others emotions, energy and sometimes physical symptoms in their own bodies. Different to those that are “Highly Sensitive”, this is not just a part time job for these individuals but one that is undertaken 24hours a day (yes even during sleep).
Often absorbing and transmuting the energy of others, Empaths need to learn how to survive their empathy and protect their own energy. High anxiety, stress, depression, low self-esteem, irrational fears and phobias, eating disorders, respiratory ailments, throat and thyroid conditions, digestive issues and other bowel, reproductive and stomach related conditions are just some of the ailments faced by empaths if they cannot successfully learn how to do this.
The list below highlights some of the most common signs of an Empath.
1. People tell you that you are “too sensitive”.
You are told to just “get over it”. You feel your own emotions more strongly than the average person and so you are seen to “overact” or “exaggerate” your own feelings.
2. You actually feel other people’s feelings.
You can tell how someone is feeling before they tell you. (Not just reading body language but actually feeling what they feel).
3. Negativity overwhelms you.
You don’t like raised voices, conflict, or anger. You can feel physically sick or feel pain as a result of the negative energy around you. You crave peace and calm.
4. Being in crowded places overwhelms you.
It can be hard for an empath to decipher which feelings belong to them and which belong to someone else.
5. Strong intuition.
You seem to know things without being told, you get a strong “gut feeling” about what is about to happen.
6. Sensory Issues.
You need time every day with no sensory input, to withdraw and be on your own. Loud noises, sudden moves, bright lights, different fabrics and smells can annoy you.
7. You are always tired or fatigued.
8. You avoid watching or reading the News.
You find it extremely disturbing to watch or read about tragedies in the newspaper or on TV or see unpleasant events in real life at school or home.
9. You can easily tell when someone is lying.
All you need to do is look at their faces or listen to their tone of voice, and you know instantly whether or not they are telling the truth.
10. You frequently have lower back and digestive “issues”.
These are the result of dealing with negative and stressful situations and people.
11. People often tell you all of their problems and you are a great listener.
People around you seem to seek you out and tell you all of their problems and because you are an empath you will go out of your way to help them.
12. You feel close to animals and need to be with your pets. More often than not you prefer the company of your pets over other people.
13. You don’t like to do too many things at once.
You become overwhelmed when you have too many things to do at once. Keeping to a schedule is also hard to manage as it can lead to stress and anxiety because of the list of things you have to do and your overwhelming desire to do them to a high standard.
14. You REALLY don’t like people who put themselves first.
You are really annoyed by people who put themselves first all the time and aren’t sensitive to the feelings of others. You are always looking out for the underdog.
15. You get bored easily and find it impossible to do things you do not enjoy.
You get bored easily and quickly with things that do not excite you or stimulate your creativity. School or work has to be kept interesting or you will switch off.
16. Throat issues.
Empaths find it hard to say “no” and express how they really feel and as such often have throat and upper respiratory issues.
17. You have an Addictive Personality.
You will immerse yourself in a hobby or regular activity to block out the rest of the world.
18. Empath Kids are often labelled as having A.D.D, A.D.H.D or Autism or as being “Hard to Handle.
There are a range of strategies that can be used to help an Empath manage their empathy and it can somewhat depend on the individual’s strengths and talents but the following list highlights just some of the management techniques that can help all Empaths.
- Setting clear and precise boundaries.
- Learning how to “ground” yourself.
- Setting up energetic protection.
- Aura and Chakra work.
- Learning how to say “no”.
- Regularly cleansing yourself and your space releasing negative energy.
- Meditation.If you think your child, your teen or you yourself might be an empath and you want to learn more about how to manage this, please contact me on 0401 561923.
© copyright. May not be reproduced without acknowledgement to the author. Written by Kim Norton 30th July 2017.